Manning in Clarendon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hanna Levi Memorial Library / Manning Library
The Hannah Levi Memorial Library, built in 1909-1910, grew out of a library fund begun in 1905 by the children of Moses and Hannah Levi, along with proceeds from the sale of Moses Levi Memorial Institute. A matching grant from the city of Manning and a public fund raising effort helped complete this Classical revival building. It was possibly designed by Shand & Lafaye, architects for the county courthouse.
Managed by the Manning Civic League, this building served as the Manning Library and as a social hall 1910-1976. deeded to the county in 1976, it was the Clarendon County Public Library until 1984. The library was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The Clarendon County Archives & History Center, established to collect, preserve, and display documents and artifacts, opened here in 1996.
Erected 2005 by The Wendell M. Levi Trust. (Marker Number 14-16.)
Location. 33° 41.955′ N, 80° 12.644′ W. Marker is in Manning, South Carolina, in Clarendon County. Marker is on North Brooks Street (U.S. 301/521) near Oak Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pond Bluff to St Stephens (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ambush at Half-Way Swamp (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fuel 24 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francis Marion Reflections (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Swamp Fox (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Murray's Ferry - Santee River (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manning.
Regarding Hanna Levi Memorial Library / Manning Library. The Manning Library was constructed between 1909 and 1910 and is architecturally significant as a local interpretation of the Classical Revival style. The one-story brick structure is set on a raised basement and is stuccoed on the front and side facades beneath the water table. Brickwork is stretcher bond. Symmetrical in form, the library features an encircling granite entablature, a brick parapet with molded cap and a tin-roofed dome. Each of the four facades is divided into two side bays and a larger central bay; the façade is divided by four engage pilasters which are broken by the entablature buy reappear on the parapet
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 971 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 17, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.