Moorestown in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Front part built in 1812. Rear section with a stage added in 1859 and a jail at east rear corner in 1876.
It was the town center for political meetings, lectures, suppers, fairs, flower shows and early silent movies. First police station located here.
Later the building was used for township offices until 1975 when they were moved to the new municipal center.
Location. 39° 57.984′ N, 74° 56.64′ W. Marker is in Moorestown, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 East Main Street, Moorestown NJ 08057, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Moorestown, New Jersey Friends Meeting House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robertsí Hall (about 500 feet away); Site of Coles Hotel (about 600 feet away); Moorestown, N.J. (about 700 feet away); Site of Cox's Tavern (about 700 feet away); Morgan Hollinshead Clock Shop Site (about 700 feet away); “Hessian House” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith-Cadbury Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moorestown.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2009, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 656 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 18, 2009, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. 2. submitted on April 11, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3. submitted on November 18, 2009, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.