Near Bective in County Meath, Leinster, Ireland — Mid-East (and Dublin)
Bective Abbey / Mainistir Bheigtí
Bective Abbey — from Mainistir Bheigthí (Abbey of Beigtheach)
This Cistercian abbey was founded in 1147 as a “daughter house” of Mellifont Abbey.
The community here was Anglo-Norman. In 1386 men of Irish birth were effectively barred from entering the monastery. The cloister (a covered walkway for contemplation and prayer) and the domestic buildings where the monks lived and worked, were rebuilt on a smaller scale in the 15th century. Two sections of this cloister walkway survive; there is a carving of an unidentified ecclesiastic at one corner.
A large defensive tower was built above the south range of the abbey in the 15th century, a reflection of troubled times in the English Pale.
After Bective was “dissolved” in 1536, as part of the campaign by Henry VIII to control the wealth and power of the church, the complex was converted into a great mansion with the insertion of new fireplaces, chimneys and large stone windows.
Nothing remains of the original 12th century monastery. The church was rebuilt in the 13th century, but all that survives of it is one wall of the aisled nave.
In 1147 a bunaíodh an mhainistir Chirstéirseach seo mar “iníonteach” ag an Mainistir Mhór.
Tar éis a díscaoilte i 1536, mar chuid d'fheachtas Anraí VIII d'fhonn forlámhas a fháil ar mhaoin agus ar chumhacht na heaglais, rinneadh mainteach mór den mhainistir trí thinteáin nua, similéir agus fuinneoga móra cloiche a chur inti.
Níl aon chuid de Mhainistir an 12ú haois fágtha anois. Atógadh an eaglais sa 13ú haois, ach níl fágtha di inniu ach balla amháin den chorp taobhrannach.
Erected by Dúchas / The Heritage Service.
Location. 53° 34.945′ N, 6° 42.151′ W. Marker is near Bective, Leinster, in County Meath. Touch for map. Marker is near the entrance through the stone-walled enclosure surrounding Bective Abbey. The abbey is in a farm field about 500 feet NNW of the Bective Road bridge over the River Boyne, and about 1/2 mile SE of the Bective Road intersection with road R161.
Other nearby markers. Newtowntrim Cathedral / Ardeaglais an Bhaile Nua (approx. 5.5 kilometers away); Welcome to Tara of the Kings (approx. 6.1 kilometers away); Donaghmore Church and Round Tower (approx. 10.2 kilometers away); Culmullen & 1798 (approx. 12 kilometers away); Girley / Fordstown (approx. 16.4 kilometers away); Saint Patrick on the Hill of Slane (approx. 18.3 kilometers away); Slane Abbey (approx. 18.3 kilometers away); Market Cross (approx. 19.6 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Bective Abbey. (Submitted on November 22, 2009.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Notable Buildings • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,222 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20. submitted on November 22, 2009.