Vienna in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
At the time that the 1900 picture to the left was taken, the railroad was owned by the Southern Railway and was operated by steam. This view looked west with what is now Hunter Mill Road behind the shelter.
The line was electrified with overhead wires in 1912 after the line became the Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) Railway.
The piece of equipment just beyond the road and to the right of the sign is a mail crane, which let the stationmaster hoist up a mailbag to where it could be snatched up as the train passed.
Passenger service ended in 1951, freight service in 1968 and the line was abandoned. In 1974 the first segment of the W&OD Trail opened within Falls Church.
Erected 2009 by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority, Friends of the W&OD Trail, and Hunter Mill Defense League.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 38° 55.957′ N, 77° 18.287′ W. Marker is in Vienna, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Hunter Mill Road Touch for map. The marker is approximately 20 feet from the road along the W&OD Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Vienna VA 22182, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hunterís Mill (here, next to this marker); Strategic Junction (here, next to this marker); Crossroads to War (a few steps from this marker); Cartersville Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Terror by the Tracks (approx. one mile away); The Springhouse (approx. 1.2 miles away); Cavalry Engagement near Hunter's Mill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vienna.
More about this marker. On the upper left is a photo of Hunter Station ca. 1900. Below it is a photo captioned, This aerial view of the intersection of Hunter Mill Road, Hunter Station Road and the railroad is from the late 1930s. On the right is a facsimile of a railroad timetable. This Timetable is from 1860. The Thornton Stop is present day Reston, the Guilford stop is now Sterling and Farmwell is now Ashburn.
Also see . . .
1. Washington & Old Dominion Railroad. Wikipedia article (Submitted on November 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Hunter's Mill Defense League. The League sponsored this marker. One of the organization's goals is to protect the scenic and historic character of the Hunter's Mill Road community. (Submitted on November 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Friends of the W&OD Trail. General background on the trail and history. (Submitted on November 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,054 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.