Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Each of Winthrop's president's has lived in the President's House. Built by Captain W.H. Stewart, the home became the President's residence in the late 1890's. The home was first fashioned in the Queen Anne Victorian style, with rounded turrets and clapboard siding. It was transformed during major renovation in 1917, when the house was moved back from the street, brick veneer was added, and it took on its current Dutch Colonial Revival style. The President's House and garden serves as both a residence and as a gathering place for members of the Winthrop community.
Location. 34° 56.232′ N, 81° 1.68′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Oakland Avenue (U.S. 21) and Stewart Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Oakland Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rock Hill SC 29730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McCorkle-Fewell-Long House / Oakland (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia Seminary Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Home of Winthrop College (approx. 0.3 miles away); James Milton Cherry House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Company / Rock Hill Buggy Company and Anderson Motor Company (approx. half a mile away); Rock Hill Buggy Company / Anderson Motor Company (approx. half a mile away); Rock Hill Cotton Factory (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rock Hill Depots / Rock Hill Street Railway (approx. 0.7 miles away); Rock Hill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jefferson Davis' Flight (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
Also see . . .
1. South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Site includes the Winthrop College Historic District which the President's House belongs to. (Submitted on November 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
2. Winthrop University Virtual Tour: Stewart House - 1895. An example of the Classical Revival style of architecture, Stewart House was built in 1895 by Captain W.H. Stewart of Rock Hill. (Submitted on January 23, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 523 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.