Glennville in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Kern County’s oldest residence. Built before Civil War by Thomas Fitzgerald as trading post at junction of two Indian trails. Present Greenhorn Road follows east – west trail (later McFarlane Toll Road) to Kern River mining districts. Town named in 1857 after James Madison Glenn, an early settler.
Building and land donated to Kern County by
Mr. and Mrs. Hal Duval
Marker placed by California State Division of Beaches and Parks in cooperation with Kern County Historical Society, El Tejon Parlor No.239 N.D.G.W., Kern County Museum
Dedicated March 23, 1952
Erected 1952 by California State Division of Beaches and Parks, Kern County Historical Society, El Tejon Parlor N.D.G.W. and Kern County Museum. (Marker Number 495.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 35° 43.6′ N, 118° 42.038′ W. Marker is in Glennville, California, in Kern County. Marker is on Evans Road (State Highway 155), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker and site are located adjacent to the Kern County Fire Department - Glennville Sub-Station.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lavers Crossing (approx. 1.3 miles away); Lynn’s Bull Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Woody (approx. 7.7 miles away); Joseph Weringer, Sr. (approx. 7.7 miles away); California Hot Springs (approx. 10.8 miles away); Granite Station (approx. 11.8 miles away).
Regarding Glennville Adobe. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 495 on October 10, 1951.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 976 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.