Reston in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Sunset Hills Station
A lumber business opened, taking advantage of the railroad and nearby stand of trees. Much of the property was acquired by A. Smith Bowman in 1927. In 1934, with the repeal of Prohibition, Bowman built a distillery north of the railroad. The Wiehle family home became the part of the 7,200-acre Bowman estate, "Sunset Hills."
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park - Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 38° 57.333′ N, 77° 21.082′ W. Marker is in Reston, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Old Reston Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Train Wrecks (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert E. Simon, Jr. / Reston, Virginia (approx. 1.1 miles away); Reston (approx. 1.1 miles away); Herndon: A Summer Resort (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Rail Strike of 1916 (approx. 2 miles away); Herndon Town Square (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mosby's Raid (approx. 2.1 miles away); In Memory of Those Lost in World War II (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Reston.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photo of a train stopping at the Sunset Hills Station in 1967. A small inset photo on the upper right is captioned Lumber mill buildings were converted to warehouse for the Bowman distillery. It continued to operate at Sunset Hills until 1986, when it moved to Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Also see . . . W & OD Railroad. Wikipedia article offering a wealth of detail about the railroad line. (Submitted on December 3, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,074 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 3, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.