Marion in Marion County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Town Hall and Opera House
The second floor of this building contained a 525-seat auditorium that was used for traveling road shows, graduations, and other Marion events for many years. In 1920 the property was sold and converted to commercial use. The city of Marion purchased the historic building in 1980, and with guidance from Mayor T.C. Atkinson, Jr., renovated it for civic use.
Erected 1983 by Marion County Historical Society. (Marker Number 34-10.)
Location. 34° 10.684′ N, 79° 24.06′ W. Marker is in Marion, South Carolina, in Marion County. Marker is on West Godbold Street just west of South Main Street (Business U.S. 501), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marion SC 29571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To the Dead and Living Confederate Soldiers (about Marion County / Marion Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Francis Marion (about 500 feet away); Marion Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Marion Academy (about 700 feet away); Veterans Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial Triangle (approx. 0.4 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 642 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.