Granger in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
During the Rev. Frantisek Machan's brief tenure as pastor the church formed several fraternal organizations and established a school. His successor, the Rev. Frantisek Pridal, helped the congregation build a new school building/parish hall in 1912 and replace the original church building with a brick structure in 1916. Following the death of the beloved Father Pridal in 1927, the Rev. John Vanicek became pastor. He helped many young parishioners enter the priesthood and sisterhood, and guided several parishioners into leadership roles in statewide Catholic fraternal organizations.
In 1948 this church became a part of the newlyformed Austin Diocese. A 2-story brick school building was added in 1947, a recreation center in 1959, and a brick convent in 1960. The church continues to play an integral role in church and community affairs.
Erected 1993 by the Texas Historical Commission
Location. 30° 43.102′ N, 97° 26.834′ W. Marker is in Granger, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on N Brazos St., on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granger TX 76530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Granger Brethren Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School (about 300 feet away); Brick Streets in Granger (about 600 feet away); A. A. & Mary Spacek House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Granger City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Young House (approx. half a mile away); Granger High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Macedonia Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granger.
Also see . . . SS Cyril & Methodius Catholic Church. (Submitted on May 12, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 643 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.