Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Taylor Public Schools
In 1883 a bond election passed which provided revenue for maintaining public schools in Taylor. Augustus Hill, former head of the Bastrop Academy, became the first Superintendent. He presided over a ten-grade system, which consisted of a three-room building for all primary, grammar, and high school classes, as well as the small negro school. Because of increased enrollment, a three-story building was erected in 1890, and a greater variety of subjects was offered to the students. In later years surrounding school districts were annexed, greatly increasing the size of the Taylor public schools. In 1950 the schools were removed from municipal control with the creation of the Taylor Independent School District.
For a century the Taylor schools have been a source of pride for the community, while citizens have been faithful supporters of public education. Graduates of the Taylor schools, include numerous business, professional and civic leaders.
Erected 1983 by The Texas Historical Commissions. (Marker Number 9360.)
Location. 30° 34.452′ N, 97° 24.75′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 W 8th St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of Governor Dan Moody (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Christian Church of Taylor (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tenth Street United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tucker-Smith House (approx. ¼ mile away); City of Taylor (approx. ¼ mile away); Doak Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 745 times since then and 52 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?