Walburg in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Zion Lutheran Church
Under the guidance of the Reverend J.H. Maisch, settlers organized the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of Concordia here. The church’s nine charter members were Wilhelm Andres, August Doehre, Albert Krause, John Neitsch, Albert Ramm, Andreas Schneider, Jacob Schomber, John Schulze and Carl Streich.
The church cemetery was also established in 1882, with the first recorded burial occurring the same year. Since education was of primary importance to the settlers, they also founded a school at that time which continues to educate students today.
The congregation grew throughout the years despite challenges. A fierce June 1886 tornado wreaked havoc on the community and moved the church building off its foundation. Members have rebuilt and placed additions on both the school and the church. After
Erected 2006 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13588.)
Location. 30° 44.553′ N, 97° 35.944′ W. Marker is in Walburg, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6001 FM-1105, Walburg TX 78673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Community of Theon (approx. 1.4 miles away); James B. Williams (approx. 4 miles away); Daniel Harrison (approx. 4.1 miles away); Cornhill Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Corn Hill Community (approx. 4.4 miles away); John Berry, Frontiersman (approx. 4.7 miles away); City of Weir (approx. 4.7 miles away); Site of Neusser (Naizerville) (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Zion Lutheran Church. (Submitted on December 8, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 845 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.