Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monroe in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Birdsey’s Plain Methodist Church

 
 
Birdsey’s Plain Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 8, 2009
1. Birdsey’s Plain Methodist Church Marker
South side
Inscription.

[ South side ]
Stepney
1839
Birdsey’s Plain
Methodist Church
(Our Lady of the Rosary Chapel)
This Greek Revival-style church, one of the “twin” churches on the Stepney Green, was built by Hanford Hull. This was the second Methodist Church in Monroe. In 1973, the church was closed and sold to the orthodox Roman Catholic movement where the traditional Latin Mass is celebrated.
Stepney Heritage Trail

[ North side ]
Stepney
1836
George Burritt House
(Methodist Church Parsonage)
Home of George Burritt, brother of Isaac Burritt who built a general store across the street north of the Baptist Church in the 1940’s, this house was sold & became the Stepney Methodist Church Parsonage. In 1973, the orthodox Roman Catholic movement bought it as a convent for the Dominican Sisters of Our Lady of the Rosary Chapel.
Stepney Heritage Trail
 
Erected by The Save Our Stepney Task Force.
 
Location. 41° 19.321′ N, 73° 15.833′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Pepper Street and Main Street (Connecticut Route 25), on the right
George Burritt House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 8, 2009
2. George Burritt House Marker
North side
when traveling north on Pepper Street. Touch for map. Located next to the Stepney Green. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe CT 06468, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Monroe World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Birdsey’s Plain / Stepney Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Birdsey’s Plain Stepney Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Bell of Stepney Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Burr Hawley & Burritt General Store (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bridgeport / Newtown Turnpike (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stepney Schoolhouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); Stepney Fire House #1 (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
 
Also see . . .  Methodist Meetinghouse. (Submitted on December 10, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Birdsey’s Plain Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 8, 2009
3. Birdsey’s Plain Methodist Church and Marker
The church is now Our Lady of the Rosary Chapel, Roman Catholic.
The marker is near the base of the steps.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement