Waverly in Pike County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
German Evangelical Church / Pike Heritage Foundation Museum
Side A: German Evangelical Church
Construction of Waverly's third church, built with locally produced brick, began in 1859 and was completed in 1860. The original deed, recorded on October 31, 1859, listed the value of the lot as $180. With the merger of the Evangelical Synod of North America with the Reformed Church in 1934, the name changed to Evangelical and Reformed Church. A merger in 1957 with the Congregational Christian Church changed the name to First United Church of Christ. In 1987 it became known as Waverly United Church of Christ, until its dissolution in 1992, when the building was given to Pike Heritage Foundation Museum. Original records and services were in German. In 1890 some English was introduced in services, and by the early 1900s was used on alternate Sundays. The church was remodeled and enlarged in 1869, but retains much of its original appearance. An annex was added to the church in 1959.
Side B: Pike Heritage Foundation Museum
Pike Heritage Foundation is a county museum housing artifacts from the area's earliest settlement to the present. The foundation was incorporated on August 10, 1983, with the grand opening taking place on June 16, 1984 at the site on North Street. The Foundation moved to this location in 1992, which is located in Waverly's Old Canal District. The property
Erected 2002 by Pike County Convention and Visitors Bureau, Pike Heritage Foundation Museum, First National Bank of Waverly, In Memory of Lottie Vulgamore, Museum Trustee 1995-2002, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-66.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 7.545′ N, 82° 59.042′ W. Marker is in Waverly, Ohio, in Pike County. Marker is on Market Street (Ohio Route 220), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Church and marker are between 2nd and 3rd Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Waverly OH 45690, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pike County Courthouse War Savings Stamps (within shouting distance of this marker); Canal Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pike County Revolutionary Soldiers (approx. ¼ mile away); Pike County Twentieth-Century War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Pike County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. one mile away); Piketon (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waverly.
Also see . . . "Museum a hymn to Pike County past". (Submitted on December 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.