Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Tucker-Smith House

 
 
Tucker-Smith House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, June 28, 2007
1. Tucker-Smith House Marker
Inscription. Built in 1892 by prominent local lumber man J.E. Tucker, this residence originally reflected the Queen Anne style. Decker Franklin Smith purchased the house in 1905. In 1916 Smith extensively remodeled the house in the Mission style, which was then gaining popularity in Texas. Its prominent features include a wraparound arcaded porch, paired Doric columns, and quatrefoil windows. Smith continued to live here until 1920.
 
Erected 1991 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9366.)
 
Location. 30° 34.385′ N, 97° 24.975′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 516 W 7th St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doak Home (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wedemeyer Hospital Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tenth Street United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Taylor Public Schools (approx. mile away); First Christian Church of Taylor
Tucker-Smith House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, June 28, 2007
2. Tucker-Smith House
A portion of the marker is visible to the right in this view.
(approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Birthplace of Governor Dan Moody (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 960 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on December 14, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement