Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Freedmen's Schooling

 
 
Freedmen's Schooling Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 6, 2009
1. Freedmen's Schooling Marker
Inscription. In 1865, the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands began assistance to former slaves. While efforts at educating freed slaves were strongest in Georgia's larger cities and towns, State Superintendent of Freedmen's Schools G.L. Eberhardt recognized the need to expand to rural areas.

Two years later, Eberhardt rented for a school the Madison Baptist congregation's former church on Academy Street (which was also rented to their black brethren who had formed Calvary Baptist Church led by Rev. Allen Clark). By June 1867, the Bureau acquired a one-acre tract on Hill Street and purchased the rented building for relocation to the site.

Northern aid societies – the most significant among these for Central Georgia being the American Missionary Association – supplied financial support and teachers, mostly Northern white women. As President of the local education association, Rev. Clark worked to employ African-American teachers for Madison Freedmen's School, which operated here until the 1870s when Georgia's dual system of education began.
 
Erected 2009 by City of Madison Bicentennial Commission.
 
Location. 33° 35.638′ N, 83° 28.546′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan
Freedmen's Schooling Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 6, 2009
2. Freedmen's Schooling Marker
Looking southeast on Hill Street, toward Fourth Street (and US 441 several blocks away)
County. Marker is on Hill Street 0 miles north of Fourth Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is opposite Clark's Chapel at the end of Hill Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 745 Hill Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Formal Southern Landscapes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Religious Life (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison Historic Cemeteries (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Town Commons (approx. mile away); Segregated Burial Grounds (approx. mile away); Confederate Dead (approx. mile away); Joshua Hill Home (approx. mile away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Categories. African AmericansCharity & Public WorkEducation
 
Clark's Chapel image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 6, 2009
3. Clark's Chapel
Clark's Chapel, originally built for Madison's (white) Baptists, has been an African-American church since 1867, when it was moved to this site.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 913 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on December 15, 2009, by Ken Kocher of Madison, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement