Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Martinís Evangelical Lutheran Church
In 1929 St. Martinís congregation erected a more spacious sanctuary at 1400 Congress, and the original church building was converted into state offices. In 1959, as the Capitol complex expanded, both churches were razed and 13th Street was closed to make way for state office buildings. St. Martinís moved to new facilities at 606 West 15th Street.
Erected 1979 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15486.)
Location. 30° 16.536′ N, 97° 44.359′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Congress Ave and E 14th St., on the right. Touch for map. In northeast corner of capitol grounds just west of where E. 14th St. ends. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hoodís Texas Brigade Monument (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Texas and the Civil War (about 600 feet away); Swedish Central Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); The Archive War (about 700 feet away); State Bar of Texas (about 800 feet away); Gethsemane Church (about 800 feet away); Terryís Texas Rangers Monument (about 800 feet away); Terry Rangers Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 43 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 17, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?