Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas School for the Deaf
New Yorker Jacob van Nostrand, with 19 years of deaf education, became the school's first superintendent in 1857. In 1875-76, he returned to New York, and Gov. Richard Coke appointed Gen. Henry McCulloch as superintendent. McCulloch's leadership caused the faculty and staff, including then-principal Emily Lewis, to leave. During the tenure of the next superintendent, Col. John Salmon "Rip" Ford, Lewis returned to the staff, where she stayed until her retirement in 1914. In 1887, the state created what became the Texas Blind, Deaf and Orphan School, which served non-white students. From integration of the schools in 1965 until 2002, its campus in east Austin remained part of TSD's facilities.
The 20th century brought many changes to the campus facilities, administration and curriculum, including status as an independent school district. Newsletters
Erected 2006 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13458.)
Location. 30° 15.268′ N, 97° 44.871′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1102 S Congress Ave, Austin TX 78704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Academy (approx. 0.3 miles away); The “Austin Statesman” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the Headquarters of the United States Army for 5th Military District (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grinninger Fence (approx. 0.6 miles away); Austin, C.S.A. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Congress Avenue (approx. 0.6 miles away); Shoal Creek (approx. ¾ mile away); J.P. Schneider Store (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . .
1. Texas School for the Deaf. (Submitted on December 19, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. Handbook of Texas Online: Texas School for the Deaf. (Submitted on December 19, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,635 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 18, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on December 19, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?