Lincoln in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected in 1863 as Good Templars Hall
Original building, 30' wide, 2 stories (537 G)
Expanded south in 1913 by Williamson & Ingram
(Their wives, Emma and Ada, ="Emmada")
First grammar school in 1864
Becomes Granger Hall in 1875
Landis's True Blue Store 1892-1900
Lincoln's first telephone central in 1893
Long term occupants in 1900's:
Dry goods stores mainly 1900-1928
Tofft & Johnson (groceries) 1919-1929
Demas Store here 1928-1993
Wyatt Hardware 1933-1984
(See local history books for other occupants)
This marker provided in 1996
by Silver Star Parlor #63
Native Sons of the Golden West
Erected 1996 by Silver Star Parlor # 63, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 53.535′ N, 121° 17.563′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, California, in Placer County. Marker is on G Street north of 5th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. G Street is actually State Highway 65 as it passes through the center of Lincoln. Marker is at or near this postal address: 537 G Street, Lincoln CA 95648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Fleming Building (within shouting distance of this marker); I O O F Building (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hoppert Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Butterfield/Jansen Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Beerman Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln World War II Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson (about 600 feet away); McTyeire Memorial Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the rightmost edge of the front of the building.
Also see . . . Feats of Clay has a Great Walking Tour - El Dorado Hills Telegraph. "Emmada Building – Early history Good Templarís Hall was erected on this site in 1863 as a two story brick building. Lincolnís first grammar school (grades 4-9) was housed here in 1864, later combined with the primary school at different site. In 1875 the building became “Grangersí Hall” and in 1880 “Ahartís Hall. Lincoln first telephone service 1893 and first elevator were here. In the last half of the 20th century in 1913, the owners Williamson and Ingram expanded the building. It was (Submitted on December 19, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 964 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.