Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Philquist-Wood House

 
 
Philquist-Wood House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 7, 2007
1. Philquist-Wood House Marker
Inscription. Sweden native Sven Axel Philquist, local district clerk and later clerk of the Texas Supreme Court, hired Swedish builder F. Oscar Blomquist to build this family home in 1912. Following several subsequent owners, grocer Sam Wood purchased the house in 1943; it remained in the Wood family for more than 50 years. Today, the home exhibits its original detailing as a transitional hybrid, with influences of the Queen Anne, colonial revival and craftsman styles. The interior features an inglenook, and the exterior details include paired box columns, tripartite window groupings, dormers and gables. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
 
Erected 2003 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15196.)
 
Location. 30° 18.163′ N, 97° 43.782′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4007 Avenue G, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Williams-Weigl House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Shipe House (about 800 feet away); Kopperl House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hodnette House
Philquist-Wood House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 7, 2007
2. Philquist-Wood House
The marker is to the left of the front door in this view.
(approx. mile away); Hyde Park (approx. mile away); Elisabet Ney (approx. 0.3 miles away); Texas Confederate Woman's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elvira T. Manor Davis House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 722 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement