Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Westlake Hills in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Eanes School and Chapel

 
 
Eanes School and Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 20, 2007
1. Eanes School and Chapel Marker
Inscription. A log cabin built on property of Robert Eanes (1805-95) in 1872 was the first Eanes school. In 1874 the school was moved to a one-room frame structure on this adjacent 2-acre tract given by William and Sophia Teague. Itinerant ministers conducted worship services in the schoolhouse, and a community cemetery was located nearby. Eanes Chapel, organized in 1923 by University Presbyterian Church in Austin, erected a stone building in 1928. It was purchased in 1956 for classrooms. The Eanes Independent School District, created in 1958, is now (1975) a modern educational complex with over 1,800 students.
 
Erected 1975 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6469.)
 
Location. 30° 16.927′ N, 97° 48.713′ W. Marker is in Westlake Hills, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Eanes School Rd, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in front of the Eanes Elementary School. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78746, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eanes Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Johnson Smokehouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); Eanes-Marshall Ranch
Eanes Elementary School image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 20, 2007
2. Eanes Elementary School
(approx. one mile away); Ashford McGill House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Deep Eddy Bathing Beach (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Johnson Home (approx. 2.4 miles away); Sweetbrush (approx. 2.5 miles away); Swedish Log Cabin (approx. 2.5 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 665 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement