Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
By vote of guardsmen, the camp was named in 1898 for Adjutant General Woodford Haywood Mabry (1856-1899), who provided forceful leadership for the militia.
In 1914 (after the National Guard was created 1906) the State of Texas built an arsenal here for stores formerly held in the Capitol. This was a campsite for United States Army during the first World War, and was principal site until 1928 for annual guard encampments. During World War II, it was an ordnance engine rebuild station for the United States Army.
For many years, Texas Department of Public Safety patrolmen were trained at Camp Mabry; Texas Rangers had their training command here until 1953. This has been headquarters since 1954 for the state Adjutant General. Other post installations include Texas Army National Guard state officer candidate school and the U.S. Property and Fiscal Office and Warehouse.
Erected 1972 by the State Historical Survey
Location. 30° 18.577′ N, 97° 45.634′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from West 35th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2210 W. 35th St, Austin TX 78703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major John B. Jones (here, next to this marker); Texas and the Civil War State Military Board (here, next to this marker); William Steele (here, next to this marker); Adjutants General (here, next to this marker); Texas in the Civil War (here, next to this marker); Lilia and Josephine Casis (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Radkey House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Taylor Lime Kiln No. 1 (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 884 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on August 2, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.