Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Edward Mandell House Home
New York architect Frank Freeman designed an innovative Shingle style home for House on this site in 1890. The rambling structure was raised on a stone foundation and full basement. A broad-roofed first floor gallery wrapped around three sides of the house, above which rested a second floor accented by rounded corners and inset balconies. A third floor existed within the massive roof structure, tying the house together with gabled dormers, turrets, and soaring stone chimneys.
Although House sold the home in 1914, it was the site of many important political meetings during his residence here. Despite efforts to save it, the structure was razed in 1967.
Erected 1986 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6456.)
Location. 30° 16.884′ N, 97° 44.784′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of West Avenue and West 18th Street, on the right when traveling south on West Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1704 West Avenue, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hugh B. Hancock House (a few steps from this marker); West Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Denny-Holliday House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacob Larmour House (about 400 feet away); Herblin – Shoe House (about 500 feet away); Goodall Wooten House (about 700 feet away); Daniel H. Caswell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith-Clark-Smith House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Lost From Austin. A site showing small pictures of 32 Austin structures that no longer exist. One of which is a picture of the Edward Mandell House home. (Submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 21 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?