Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church
While plans were being drawn for a new church building, the original structure burned in 1883. Worship services were temporarily held in Smithís Opera House on W. Sixth street. By 1884, members of Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church were worshiping in a new building. In 1913, the church moved to a site formerly occupied by the St. John German Evangelical congregation, and ten years later relocated to this address.
The Metropolitan A.M.E. Church has been served throughout its history by many able pastors. The Rev. Abraham Grant, who came to Austin in 1881, led the congregation until 1888, when he became a bishop in the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Dr. William Laws served here during the first years of the twentieth century and was later President of Paul Quinn College.
An established part of Austinís black community for over 100 years, Metropolitan A.M.E. Church continues to uphold the ideals upon which it was founded.
Erected 1986 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Location. 30° 16.091′ N, 97° 43.762′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on East 10th Street east of Waller Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 E 10th St, Austin TX 78702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ebenezer (Third) Baptist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stuart Female Seminary (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Tom (approx. 0.2 miles away); Winslow Turner (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Weedon (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Allison York (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Gideon Lincecum (approx. 0.2 miles away); French Legation (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,260 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.