Early Branch in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pine Level Baptist Church
This church, organized on January 6, 1872 with Rev. M.H. Shuman as its first minister, held services in members' homes until a sanctuary, built in 1906 was built on this site between 1876 and 1881. A second sanctuary, built in 1906, served the congregation until a new sanctuary was built .4 mi. N. in 1995. Revs. J.J. Nix 1900-1929) and Frank Fisher 1945-1966) were the longest-serving ministers here.
Charter members of Pine Level Baptist Church were Mary Cleland, Rebecca Dewitt, Oscar Ellis, J.J. Gooding, Rosa C. Grimes, Rachel Mew, Mary Phillips, Alexander Smith, Cecelia R. Smith, Deliah W. Smith, George H. Smith, James R. Smith, Lucreita Smith, Mary Smith, Harriet Tindal, W.F. Wheeler, and Sarah J. Wheeler.
Erected 1998 by Members and Friends of Pine Level Baptist Church. (Marker Number 27-14.)
Location. 32° 42.067′ N, 81° 1.733′ W. Marker is in Early Branch, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Marker is on Grays Highway (U.S. 278) 0.4 miles from Pine Level Church Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker 27-14 Pine Level Baptist Church located on US 278 about 10 miles South East of Hampton South Carolina. Marker is in this post office area: Early Branch SC 29916, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Grays Consolidated High School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Oak Grove Baptist Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Gillisonville (approx. 6.6 miles away); Gillisonville Baptist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Coosawhatchie (approx. 9.8 miles away); Battle of Coosawhatchie (approx. 9.8 miles away); General Robert E. Lee (approx. 10 miles away); The Battle of Pocotaligo (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,551 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on January 11, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.