Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
State Bar of Texas
An act of the State Legislature signed by Governor W. Lee O’Daniel in 1939 created the State Bar of Texas. Its purpose was to place all persons practicing law in the state under uniform rules and regulations. After the Texas Bar Association merged with the new state agency in 1940, members of the state bar, under the direction of first president Angus Wynne, continued to carry out the association’s traditions and goals.
While the agency’s first office was located in the Littlefield Building at Sixth and Congress, it has been at this site since 1953. Guided by an elected board of directors, a president, and president elect, the state bar is operated on a daily basis by an executive director and a full staff.
For over 100 years these professional organizations have played unique roles in the state’s legal history.
Erected 1985 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6422.)
Location. 30° 16.617′ N, 97° 44.468′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Colorado Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1414 Colorado St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Swedish Central Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wahrenberger House (about 300 feet away); Price Daniel (about 300 feet away); Statue of Liberty Replica (about 400 feet away); Carrington-Covert House (about 400 feet away); Goodman Building (about 600 feet away); Gethsemane Church (about 700 feet away); St. Martin’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . .
1. State Bar of Texas. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. Handbook of Texas Online. State Bar of Texas (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 658 times since then and 28 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?