Redding in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Hill Academy
Aaron Sanford Hill
1800 – 1893
Interest in his native town and in public education inspired him to found
The Hill Academy
Erected on this site in 1883, this building, remodeled by the town and the
trustees of the Hill Academy Corporation, was transferred to the Town of
Redding, March 4, 1932, to be used forever as a public school, and by a vote
of the town to be named
The Hill School
Location. 41° 18.335′ N, 73° 22.877′ W. Marker is in Redding, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Lonetown Road and Hill Road, on the right when traveling south on Lonetown Road. Touch for map. Located next to the entrance of Redding Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Hill Road, Redding CT 06896, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Redding (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Redding World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Church of Christ Congregational (approx. 0.2 miles away); Redding Citizens John Read, Gentleman (approx. 1.8 miles away); Guard House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Winter Quarters of Putnamís Division (approx. 2.2 miles away); Unknown Heroes (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Redding.
Regarding The Hill Academy. In 1878, Aaron Sanford Hill funded the establishment of a public high school, the Hill Academy, in Redding Center. Ten one-room schoolhouses in strategic areas of Town served younger students in Redding, and the Town shared an 11th with Ridgefield. By 1931, the Town had closed all of its one-room schoolhouses and enlarged the Hill Academy to four classrooms to serve the eight elementary grades. The Hill Academy closed in 1948 when Redding Elementary School opened. In 1959, the Town converted the Hill Academy to Town Hall.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 611 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.