Appling in Columbia County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Columbia County, named for Christopher Columbus, was created by Act of Dec. 10, 1790 from Richmond County. Originally, it contained parts of McDuffie and Warren Counties. Settled by Quakers before the Revolution, it has been the home of many prominent Georgians. Here were Carmel Academy and Kiokee Baptist Church, "Mother Church" of Baptists in Georgia. First officers of Columbia County, commissioned Dec. 15, 1790, were: John Pearre, Coroner; John Walton, Surveyor; Daniel Marshall, Tax Col.; Anderson Crawford, Tax Rec.; Edmund B. Jenkins, Sheriff.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 036-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 32.793′ N, 82° 18.975′ W. Marker is in Appling, Georgia, in Columbia County. Marker is on Appling Harlem Road (US 221,State Road 47) near Shucraft Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at the Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Appling GA 30802, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodmen of the World Veterans Monument (a few steps from this marker); Rev. Daniel Marshall Religious Liberty in Georgia (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church in Georgia (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jabez Pleiades Marshall (approx. 2.6 miles away); Basil Neal - Soldier of '76 (approx. 5˝ miles away); Sharon Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); William Few Signer of the U.S. Constitution (approx. 6.3 miles away); Shiloh Methodist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Damascus Baptist Church (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Appling.
Categories. • Government • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 869 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on August 17, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on January 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9. submitted on August 17, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.