Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cairo in Grady County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Grady County

 
 
Grady County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
1. Grady County Marker
Inscription. This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 17, 1905, is named for Henry W. Grady, nationally famous editor and “silver tongued orator” of the New South. Born in Athens, Ga., in 1850 and educated at the Universities of Georgia & Virginia, he died in 1889. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff D.W. Tyus, Ordinary P.H. Herring, Clerk of Superior Court W.T. Crawford. Tax Receiver W.R. Wynn, Tax Collector R.W. Ponder, Treasurer M.G. McManus, Surveyor D.A. Jones, Coroner E.G. Harrell, School Commissioner J.B. Wright and Representative R.R. Terrell.
 
Erected 1996 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 065-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 30° 52.738′ N, 84° 12.483′ W. Marker is in Cairo, Georgia, in Grady County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broad Street (Georgia Route 93) and 3rd Avenue NE, on the right when traveling north on North Broad Street. Touch for map. The marker stands on the lawn of the Grady County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 250 North Broad Street, Cairo GA 39828, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2
Grady County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
2. Grady County Marker
In front of the Grady County Courthouse
other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Grady County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of Jackie Robinson (approx. 11.5 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text on this location erected by the Georgia Historical Commission. The earlier marker was removed and lost after the courthouse burned in 1980.
 
Also see . . .  Henry W. Grady. The New Georgia Encyclopedia biography of Henry W. Grady, for whom the county is named. (Submitted on February 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. GovernmentPolitical Subdivisions
 
Grady County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
3. Grady County Courthouse
This courthouse replaced the original, which burned in 1980.
Grady County Marker after 1980 Courthouse fire image. Click for full size.
Georgia Archives, The University System of Georgia, September 25, 1980
4. Grady County Marker after 1980 Courthouse fire
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 824 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on September 25, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement