Cairo in Grady County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Established January 1, 1906
The Courthouse and County Jail were built in 1908 and the county was organized under the general supervision of the following first Board of County Commissioners: Walter B. Roddenbery, Chairman; L.L. Barwick, Henry Mitchell, J.L. Peebles and J.M. Sasser; M.L. Ledford, County Attorney; Alexander Blair, Architect; J.B. Carr Co., Contractor.
Elevation above sea level, 265 feet
Latitude 30.53; Longitude 84.12
Average Temperature 67.5°
Erected 1996 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 065-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 30° 52.7′ N, 84° 12.444′ W. Marker is in Cairo, Georgia, in Grady County. Marker is on 2nd Avenue NE 0 miles east of North Broad Street (Georgia Route 93), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker stands at the southeast corner of the Grady County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 250 North Broad Street, Cairo GA 39828, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 12 miles Grady County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of Jackie Robinson (approx. 11½ miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text on this location erected by the Georgia Historical Commission. The earlier marker was removed and lost after the courthouse burned in 1980.
Also see . . . Henry W.Grady. The New Georgia Encyclopedia biography of Henry W. Grady, for whom the county is named. (Submitted on February 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Government • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 755 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.