Seattle in King County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
1890 Seattle Fire Department Bell
Purchased in 1890 from the Gardiner C. Campbell & Sons Centennial Bell and Iron Works in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the 5,000 pound bell hung above Seattle's first professional fire station at Seventh Avenue and Columbia Street downtown. Campbell & Sons made similar bells for communities around the United States.
Electronic communications soon made the bell obsolete, and it was taken down in 1919. The fire station lasted until the early 1960s when it was demolished to make way for Interstate 5. The bell came to MOHAI in time for the museum's grand opening in 1952, and was rededicated June 6, 2002.
Erected 2002 by Seattle Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI). (Marker Number 1919.551.1.)
Location. 47° 38.733′ N, 122° 18.047′ W. Marker is in Seattle, Washington, in King County. Marker can be reached from 24th Avenue East. Touch for map. In the parking lot of Seattle's MOHAI (Museum of
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scion of the Washington Elm (approx. 0.8 miles away); Medal of Honor Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pantages House (approx. 2.1 miles away); George Ward House (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Fremont Troll (approx. 2.2 miles away); Broadway High School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Chrysler Building (approx. 2.3 miles away); Fremont Bridge (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seattle.
Also see . . . Video - - "The Great Seattle Fire" - - (Winner - National History Day 2007) -- Courtesy:: YouTube. (Submitted on April 9, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2010, by Kathy Ann Bugajsky of Seattle, Washington. This page has been viewed 1,487 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2010, by Kathy Ann Bugajsky of Seattle, Washington. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.