Talbotton in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Zion Episcopal Church
The altar, communion rail, lectern-pulpit, and prayer desk are handmade of native walnut. The entire structure is put together with wooden pegs and handmade iron nails. The pipe organ, installed in 1850, and in continuous use since that time, is a Pilcher and still is operated by hand pump.
The choir loft at the east end of the structure opposite the sanctuary, above the narthex, is flanked on each side by a gallery, where slaves worshipped prior to the conflict which many believed temporarily destroyed Southern culture.
Zion Church had its incipience from the missionary zeal of the Rev. Richard Johnson and the financial assistance of South Carolina rice planters.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 130-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 40.503′ N, 84° 32.394′ W. Marker is in Talbotton, Georgia, in Talbot County. Marker is on Washington Avenue (U.S. 80) 0 miles south of Polk Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Talbotton GA 31827, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bartram Trail (a few steps from this marker); Talbotton United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Session Supreme Court of Georgia (about 700 feet away); Talbot County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Straus Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. ¼ mile away); George Washington Towns (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Talbotton.
More about this marker. The marker stands to the west of the church, which faces east.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 849 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.