Bertram in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In May 1909, Bertram voters approved incorporation as an independent school district and construction of a new school building. This 2-story red brick structure was erected on property purchased from T. D. Vaughn. Designed by architect George Endress and built by contractor M. L. Langford, it opened in the fall of 1909 with J. N. Matthews as the first principal. Bertram was then in the midst of a cotton-growing boom, and students often missed the beginning of school to help in the fields.
As the enrollment increased, sports and other extracurricular activities were introduced. A separate high school was erected in 1925 and a gymnasium in 1948. Over a period of years, several smaller county schools transferred their students to Bertram. In 1970 Bertram schools merged with the Burnet district.
Erected 1975 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9699.)
Location. 30° 44.812′ N, 98° 3.123′ W. Marker is in Bertram, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is on FM-243, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. About 1/3 mile NE from TX-29. Marker is in this post office area: Bertram TX 78605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bertram (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Village of South Gabriel (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Bryson Place (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of Prairie Point Community (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mount Zion Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Oatmeal Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Early Oatmeal School (approx. 4.1 miles away); Shady Grove Community (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bertram.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 686 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.