Near Bertram in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J. S. and Jane Danford of Delaware County, Iowa, gave two acres in 1881 for a school and church, provided the schoolhouse was completed by March 1, 1882. Area residents met the deadline.
With the establishment of a post office in 1891, the community's name changed to the biblical, "Joppa". William F. Childers served as the first postmaster. After the coming of rural mail delivery, the post office closed in 1904.
Worship was held in the Joppa Schoolhouse until 1913 when the Joppa Baptist Church congregation erected this meetinghouse. The Joppa School consolidated with Bertram in 1942. All that remains of the pioneer settlement is the church house and school building which serves as a community center.
Erected 1979 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9722.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bertram TX 78605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shady Grove Community (approx. 3.1 miles away); Black's Fort (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of Town of Strickling (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bertram School (approx. 5.6 miles away); Mount Horeb Lodge (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bertram (approx. 5.7 miles away); Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community (approx. 5.8 miles away); Mahomet Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bertram.
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online. Joppa, TX (Submitted on February 15, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 929 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 15, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on July 26, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on February 15, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 5. submitted on July 26, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.