Near Bertram in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community
Much speculation has taken place over the years concerning the origin of the unusual name of the Mahomet settlement. Research now indicates that the town was probably named by first postmaster George Ater, who came to Texas from Mahomet, Illinois. both the original Mahomet Post Office and an Austin-Lampasas Stage stop were located at his home.
The Mahomet Christian Church, moved from Sycamore Springs in 1899, continues to worship near this site. Mahomet is also the home of the Mt. Horeb Masonic Lodge, which was relocated from nearby Williamson County in 1915. The community burial ground (.5 mi. SW dates from the early 1850s.
The history of these two related settlements is an important part of Burnet County's heritage.
Erected 1968 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9728.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bertram TX 78605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Horeb Lodge (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mahomet Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Smart-McCormick Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Gabriel Mills (approx. 2.9 miles away); Prairie View Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Community of Briggs (was approx. 4.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Briggs State Bank (approx. 4.7 miles away); Andice Baptist Church (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bertram.
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online. Mahomet, TX (Submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 598 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.