Patterson Mill in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lower Three Runs Baptist Church
This church, originally located 8/10 mi. W on the old Augusta-to-Charleston road, was founded in 1789 by twelve charter members, with Rev. Nathaniel Walker as its first pastor. Lower Three Runs was a mother church to at least five congregations organized in present-day Barnwell or Allendale Counties between 1802 and 1849.
The second sanctuary here, built in 1833, was demolished in 1865 by Federal troops who used the timbers to bridge Lower Three Runs; it was never rebuilt. In 1868 Rev. C.A. Baynard and 213 members joined Tom's Branch Baptist Church, renamed Lower Three Runs to preserve the history and traditions of the mother chuch.
Erected 2001 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 6-11.)
Location. 33° 11.538′ N, 81° 28.003′ W. Marker is in Patterson Mill, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on Patterson Mill Road (State Highway 6-60), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located between Moore Road and Poplar Road (State Road 6-361). Marker is in this post office area: Barnwell SC 29812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Ellenton (approx. 4.2 Ellenton Agricultural Club (approx. 4.2 miles away); Tarlton Brown (1757 - 1845) (approx. 4.3 miles away); Boiling Springs Academy (approx. 4.4 miles away); Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.5 miles away); Winton County Court House Site (approx. 4.8 miles away); Morris Ford Earthworks (approx. 6.7 miles away); Red Hill At Turkey Creek (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 781 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.