Camden in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mather Academy was founded in 1887 by the New England Southern Conference of the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Church. It succeeded a freedmen's school opened during Reconstruction by Sarah Babcock, who returned to Massachusetts, married Rev. James Mather, and became the corresponding secretary of the Southern Conference when it organized in 1883. The Methodists opened a "Model Home and Industrial School" on this site in 1887.
Mather Academy educated girls, and later boys, in grades 1-11 until grade 12 was added in 1928. The Southern Assn. of Secondary Schools and Colleges gave it an "A" rating in 1937. A new main building, library, chapel, dormitories, and gym were all built between 1900 and 1964. In 1959 Mather merged with the Boylan-Haven School of Jacksonville, Fla., to become Boylan-Haven-Mather Academy. It closed here in 1983; the last building was demolished in 1995.
Erected 2000 by the Boylan-Haven-Mather Academy National Alumni Association. (Marker Number 28-11.)
Location. 34° 14.759′ N, 80° 36.691′ W. Marker is in Camden, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker is on West Dekalb St. (U.S. 1) just from Campbell St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden SC 29020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. E.H. Dibble Store / Eugene H. Dibble (approx. ¼ mile away); King Haiglar Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Baruch Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Bishop Davis House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The De Kalb Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Monument to Kershaw County’s Confederate Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camden (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Also see . . . BHMA (Mather) National Alumni Association website. (Submitted on July 10, 2011, by William Durant of Jonesboro, Georgia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 943 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?