Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bertram in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Village of South Gabriel

 
 
The Village of South Gabriel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 2, 2007
1. The Village of South Gabriel Marker
Inscription. The South Gabriel Post Office opened in Postmaster Thomas Lewiston's mercantile store on Sept. 29, 1871. The village, named for the South San Gabriel River, was also called Lewiston.

Located on the Austin-Burnet Road, the hamlet soon had two stores, a hotel, saloon, cotton gin, school, church, and wagon, saddle, blacksmith, and carpentry shops. The population in 1880 was 39.

The Austin and Northwestern Railroad passed to the north of the settlement in 1882, and on Dec. 8, 1882, the post office moved to the new town of Bertram (2 miles N) and South Gabriel disappeared.
 
Erected 1974 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9748.)
 
Location. 30° 43.098′ N, 98° 2.497′ W. Marker is near Bertram, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is on CR-322 0.1 miles east of FM-1174, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bertram TX 78605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bryson Place (approx. half a mile away); Bertram School (approx. 2.1 miles away); Bertram (approx. 2.3 miles away); Oatmeal Cemetery
The Village of South Gabriel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 2, 2007
2. The Village of South Gabriel Marker
(approx. 2.9 miles away); Early Oatmeal School (approx. 3.1 miles away); Site of Prairie Point Community (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mount Zion Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Hopewell Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bertram.
 
Also see . . .  Handbook of Texas Online. South Gabriel, TX (Submitted on February 19, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. South Gabriel cemetery
South Gabriel cemetery, presumably associated with the original Village of South Gabriel, is located at lat/long 30.705271,-98.025314
    — Submitted November 21, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.

2. Old Austin-Burnet Road
The marker (which sits on Old 29) talks about the Austin-Burnet road. Presumably the old segment (bypassed by a re-route of 29 as part of the 1882 move to Bertram) was what is today shown on maps as, from southeast to northwest, Old 29 (Co Rd 322), to South Old Bertram Road (Co Rd 330) which eventually becomes
View of marker in context of road image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, November 18, 2011
3. View of marker in context of road
Old Austin (AKA Westfall Street) as it runs into Burnet, TX on the southeast side of town.
    — Submitted November 21, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.

 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 557 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 19, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   3. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement