Summerville in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Alston Graded School / Alston High School
Alston Graded School
Alston Graded School, one of the first African-American schools founded in Dorchester County, stood here from 1910 to 1954. Named for its founder, Dr. J.H. Alston, it included grades 1-11 until 1949 and 1-12 afterwards. The two-story wood frame school, which was designed by architects Burden and Walker of Charleston and built by N.A. Lee, was moved to Bryan Street in 1953.
Alston High School
Alston High School, located on Bryan Street from 1953 to 1970, included grades 1-12. A new one-story brick school built on the new site in 1953 was constructed for about $200,000. It closed in 1970 after the desegregation of county schools. The present Alston Middle School, on Bryan Street, includes grades 6-8.
Erected 2000 by The Alston Heritage Foundation. (Marker Number 18-9.)
Location. 33° 1.352′ N, 80° 10.536′ W. Marker is in Summerville, South Carolina, in Dorchester County. Marker is at the intersection of West 1st N Street and North Cedar Street, on the right when traveling west on West 1st N Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Summerville SC 29483, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured Berkeley County (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Old Town Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Newington Plantation (approx. 3.2 miles away); Old White Meeting House and Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Old Dorchester (approx. 5 miles away); Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Bell Tower of St. George's (approx. 5.1 miles away); Dorchester Free School (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Summerville.
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,222 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.