Ottawa Lake in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad
By November 2, 1836, cars drawn by two horses hitched tandem and changed every 4 miles made regular trips from Port Lawrence to Adrian. Early in July, 1837 the Adrian No. 1, a steam locomotive, began the run. This was the first railroad and the first steam locomotive west of the Alleghany Mountains.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad marker series.
Location. 41° 45.843′ N, 83° 44.939′ W. Marker is in Ottawa Lake, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Brown Street and Lovewell Street, on the left when traveling east on Brown Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ottawa Lake MI 49267, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Centennial Terrace and Quarry / Fossil Park (approx. 3.3 miles away in Ohio); Railroad Car Barn 1858 Railroad Depot (approx. 3.9 miles away in Ohio); 1850 Barn (approx. 3.9 miles away in Ohio); Stone Academy (approx. 3.9 miles away in Ohio); Log Home (approx. 3.9 miles away in Ohio); Sister City Garden (approx. 4 miles away in Ohio); Sylvania Heritage Museum (approx. 4 miles away in Ohio).
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 857 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.