Oakland in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
General Sumter Memorial Academy
This forerunner of the modern consolidated rural high school with Colonel John Julius Dargan, noted educator, as founder and principal, offered classes in agriculture, home economics, and music. Day students from four districts were transported by mule-drawn covered wagons.
Acton, built in 1803 on this site by the Kinloch family, housed the Academy from 1905 until 1911 when the building burned. In 1908 the U. S. Department of Agriculture established one of the earliest school demonstration farms here. J. Frank Williams, agriculture teacher, later became the first Sumter County Farm agent.
Erected 1963 by Academy Faculty and Alumni. (Marker Number 43-14.)
Location. 33° 59.463′ N, 80° 30.941′ W. Marker is in Oakland, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on Acton Road near Meeting House Road (South Carolina Highway 43-488), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dalzell SC 29040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Thomas Sumter (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Sumter (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Thomas Sumter Grave (approx. 0.3 miles away); High Hills Baptist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Battle of Beech Creek / The Civil War Ends In S.C (approx. 1.9 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 2.8 miles away); Joel Roberts Poinsett (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Also see . . . South Carolina Postcards: Sumter County By Howard Woody, Allan D. Thigpen, page 22. General Sumter Memorial Academy (Submitted on February 22, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 708 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.