Kingstree in Williamsburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Albanís Episcopal Church
: St. Albanís Episcopal Church has long been the only continuously active Episcopal congregation in Williamsburg County. It was founded in 1879 by Carrie Simons (1849-1938), who persuaded Bishop W.W. Howe to help her organize a mission church with a few communicants. In 1887 Simons moved to Kingstree and married Michael F. Heller. She continued to support St. Albanís until her death.
This sanctuary, a fine example of the Carpenter Gothic style, was built between 1889 and 1895 and was completed during the tenure of the Rev. Herbert Jarvis. Jarvis, priest here 1894-98, named the church St. Albanís. The Revs. William Guerry and William Moore, supply priests here 1891-94 and 1940-44, later became bishops. White and black families have worshipped together at St. Albanís since the 1890s.
Erected 2008 by Congregation of St. Alban's Episcopal Church. (Marker Number 45-18.)
Location. 33° 40.021′ N, 79° 49.782′ W. Marker is in Kingstree, South Carolina, in Williamsburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Hampton Avenue and East Church Street, on the right when traveling north on Hampton Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 Hampton Avenue, Kingstree SC 29556, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Williamsburg Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Williamsburgh (approx. ľ mile away); Willamsburg County Veterans Monument (approx. ľ mile away); Williamsburg County Confederate Monument (approx. ľ mile away); Old Muster Ground and Courthouse (approx. ľ mile away); Thurgood Marshall, J.D. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kingstree: Gathering Vital Intelligence (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stephen A. Swails House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of Kingstree (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingstree.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 732 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 24, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 5. submitted on February 9, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on February 24, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.