Near Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Hill (1741-1816) / Hill's Ironworks
William Hill, who served in the American Revolution and was present at many battles, built an ironworks near here on Allison Creek about 1776. Hill and his partner, Isaac Hayne, manufactured swivel guns, kitchen utensils, cannon, ammunition, and various farm tools. His ironworks was burned by British Capt. Christian Huck in June 1780.
Rebuilt 1787-1788 near here on Allison Creek, Hill's Ironworks consisted of two furnaces, four gristmills, two sawmills, and about 15,000 acres of land by 1795. Around 80 blacks were employed here as forgemen, blacksmiths, founders, miners, and in other occupations. A nail factory with three cutting machines was operating here by 1802.
Erected 1988 by York County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 46-24.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, York County Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 2.874′ N, 81° 5.94′ W. Marker is near Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is on Hands Mill Road 0.3 miles north of Campbell Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: York SC 29745, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Birthplace of Daniel Harvey Hill (here, next to this marker); Battle Bigger's Ferry 1780 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Colonel Samuel Watson (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ebenezer Confederate Memorial (approx. 6.3 miles away); Town of Ebenezer (approx. 6.3 miles away); The CCC in York County / Tom Johnston Camp, (SCS#10), CCC (approx. 6.9 miles away); Ebenezer (approx. 7 miles away); Nation Ford (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 6, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.