Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Robson's Castle and Columbus, Texas, Meat and Ice Company
Columbus, Texas, Meat & Ice Company built its 3-story plant on this site in 1884. It was then one of three packing houses in Texas. Established to process at place of origin, the plant could handle 125 cattle a day. Some of its beef went to Queen Victoria's London. Robert E. Stafford (1834-1890), a wealthy trail driver and rancher, veteran of Civil War service with famous Hood's Texas Brigade, owner of a private bank and extensive Colorado County properties, was president, and major stockholder in the packing house. In the early 1890s, after Stafford died, the plant closed.
Erected 1971 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4310.)
Location. Touch for map. On the south side of the Colorado River and east side of the bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Railway Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Townsend-West House (approx. half a mile away); The Columbus Tap Railway (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Memorial Museum (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (approx. 0.6 miles away); Colorado County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Stafford Opera House (approx. 0.6 miles away); District Court Tree (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online entry for Columbus, Texas. (Submitted on April 20, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,499 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 7, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.