Near Elfrida in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
W. C. Sanderson and Ambrose Lyall struck artesian water nearby in 1883.
In 1892 a twelve-battery stamp mill was erected and a post office was established under the name "Descanso", meaning a haven of rest. A school was built which the Mormon settlers also used for their church.
When the railroad by-passed Soldiers Hole in 1909, its usefulness came to an end.
The Grizzle Family •• The Cooper Family
Erected 2000 by Cochise County Historical Society, Whitewater/Elfrida L.D.S. Ward, The Grizzle Family, The Cooper Family, Jim Collett.
Location. 31° 42.007′ N, 109° 43.632′ W. Marker is near Elfrida, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker is on West Gleeson Road 2½ miles west of Arizona Highway 191, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elfrida AZ 85610, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker Historic Gleeson Jail (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,358 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.