Marshall in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Howard F. Young / Postmasters
Howard F. Young (1889-1934), a native of Allegan, designed this Marshall post office building in 1932. Young studied engineering at the University of Michigan and was involved in construction work in Albany, New York, Detroit and Kalamazoo. His interest in restoring Greek Revival architecture is evident in his Marshall projects, which include the restoration of the Harold C. Brooks and other homes and the conversion of Marshall's livery stable into a town hall. Young also designed the Brooks Memorial Fountain.
Until the Civil Service reforms of 1883, one became a postmaster through federal political appointment. Thus, postmasters were usually prominent political leaders of the local community. In 1831 George Ketchum, cofounder of the city of Marshall, became this area's first postmaster. In 1833 he was followed by the Rev. John D. Pierce, who later became Michigan's first state superintendent of public instruction. Through the years a stagecoach operator, a banker, a physician, a mayor and a newspaper publisher have served the community as postmasters.
Erected 1982 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 989.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission
Location. 42° 16.317′ N, 84° 57.452′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Michigan, in Calhoun County. Marker is on Michigan Avenue (Business Interstate 94), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marshall MI 49068, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Museum of Magic (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Isaac E. Crary and John D. Pierce / State School System (about 400 feet away); Charles T. Gorham (about 600 feet away); Grand Army of the Republic / The G.A.R. Hall (about 600 feet away); James A. Miner (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mary Miller / Hillside (approx. 0.3 miles away); John D. Pierce Homesite (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2010. This page has been viewed 727 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 9, 2010. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.