Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort Worth Stock Yards Company
The first five decades of the 20th Century were the most successful for the Fort Worth Stock Yards Co. During World War I, foreign governments purchased draft animals, making Fort Worth the largest horse and mule market in the world. In 1917, overall livestock market receipts reached 3,500,000 and in 1944, sales exceeded 5,000,000 head of livestock. However, by the 1950s, local auctions were drawing sellers away from this central market. Today the Fort Worth Stock Yards Co. continues as a significant part of the city's unique heritage.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2032.)
Location. 32° 47.346′ N, 97° 20.8′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Exchange Street, on the left when traveling east on E. Exchange Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 532 E. Exchange Street, Fort Worth TX 76164, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Worth Livestock Exchange (here, next to this marker); Fort Worth Stockyards Horse and Mule Barns (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Quarter Horse Shows (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Coliseum (about 400 feet away); The First Bulldogger (about 400 feet away); Fort Worth Stock Yards Entrance (about 600 feet away); Thomas B. Saunders Family (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
More about this marker. Next to Fort Worth Livestock Exchange marker.
Categories. • 20th Century • Animals • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 831 times since then and 55 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?