Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Lufkin
This group of Abney family and friends formed the nucleus of the membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, when it organized a Lufkin congregation in 1882. One of eight churches in the Homer Circuit, the congregation met once a month in a local school building to hear the sermons of the Reverend H.H. Vaughn. In 1884 a 200-seat frame church building was erected in downtown Lufkin on land donated by the railroad. The building was shared with local Presbyterians and Baptists.
In 1891, membership had grown to 100 and the pastor held services twice a month. Ten years later, the membership numbered 286 and the pastor was serving full-time. Completed in 1905 at a cost of $14,750, a new sanctuary seated more than 800 people.
The church prospered, requiring an educational building by 1928. Despite the difficult times of the depression era and World War II, the congregation continued to grow, and the church was relocated to Denman Avenue in 1959. By 1978, when the congregation celebrated the 100 years since Mrs. Abney began
The First United Methodist Church of Lufkin continues an active tradition of community and missionary service.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11656.)
Location. 31° 19.695′ N, 94° 43.097′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Denman Avenue near Martha Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 805 East Denman Avenue, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Christian Church of Lufkin (approx. 0.7 miles away); Angelina County (approx. 0.8 miles away); City of Lufkin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company (approx. 0.8 miles away); W.C. Trout and the Counter-Balanced Pumping Unit (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band (approx. 0.9 miles away); Kerr's Inc. (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
More about this marker. Marker is located near the church.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,178 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on March 10, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.