Napoleon in Henry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Henry County Courthouse
The first Courthouse was a plain two-story structure costing $2,000. It was constructed in 1844 and destroyed by fire in 1847, with all records lost.
The second Courthouse was of brick, in the Federal Style. It was built in 1849-50 on the present site for $7,495. In 1879 the Courthouse, along with twenty-two other buildings, were destroyed in the "Dutch Row" fire. Records were saved.
Architect David Gibbs designed the present Courthouse in the Empire Style. It was built of limestone and locally made brick at a cost of $95,000. The cornerstone was laid on July 10, 1880, and the building was completed in 1882. The fifteen foot 'Goddess of Justice' tops the clock tower. Names of the 1880 county commissioners Charles Horning, Daniel Yarnell, and Rueben Reiter are cast on the tower bell.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Erected by The Napoleon Heritage Society.
Location. 41° 23.443′ N, 84° 7.467′ W. Marker is in Napoleon, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is on North Perry Street Touch for map. This historical marker is located in downtown Napoleon, Ohio, just southwest of the Henry County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Napoleon OH 43545, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Camp Latty (approx. 1.1 miles away); Prairie Des Mascoutins / Damascus (approx. 6.2 miles away); Oak Tree (approx. 8½ miles away); James Durbin (approx. 9½ miles away); Winchester's Camp No. 3/Fort Starvation / The Old Kentucky Burial Grounds (approx. 9.9 miles away); Draining the Great Black Swamp (approx. 10 miles away); Two Canals (approx. 10.7 miles away); Lock No. 13 & Independence Dam (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 930 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 10, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.