Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Church of the Good Shepherd

Charles L. Bugbee, Architect, 1878

 

—Listed on the National Register of Historic Places —

 
Church of the Good Shepherd Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 7, 2010
1. Church of the Good Shepherd Marker
Inscription. This is Berkeley's oldest remaining church building and the oldest church in the East Bay still in continuous use by its founding congregation. The one-story Victorian Gothic-style building was built here on what was Bristol Street, before it was renamed Hearst Avenue. The church is distinguished by vertical board-and-batten siding, a 75-foot bell tower, and pointed-arch stained glass windows. The church's thousand-pound Blymer bell was used as a city fire alarm from 1882 until the advent of electricity in 1894.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2000

 
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
 
Location. 37° 52.205′ N, 122° 17.679′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Hearst Avenue and Ninth Street, on the right when traveling south on Hearst Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1823 Ninth Street, Berkeley CA 94710, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Toveri Tupa – Finnish Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bowen’s Inn/Higgins Grocery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Workingman’s Hall
Church of the Good Shepherd (1878) image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 7, 2010
2. Church of the Good Shepherd (1878)
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Delaware Street Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); Harpoon Cannon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spenger’s Fish Grotto (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fullen Market Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Photoplayer Co. (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted at the top of the steps, to the immediate right of the front entrance.
 
Regarding Church of the Good Shepherd. The Church of the Good Shepherd was given landmark status by the City of Berkeley in 1975, and placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1986.
 
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to the web home of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Berkeley, California. The Church's own website. Minimal historical content. (Submitted on March 11, 2010.) 

2. Berkeley Landmarks' History of the Good Shepherd Church. "The building originated with a women’s sewing society, which began collecting funds in 1877 to build an Episcopal church in West Berkeley. It was constructed in 1878, the year in which the City of Berkeley was incorporated. The architect, Charles L. Bugbee, modeled it after the Gothic Revival Mendocino Presbyterian Church designed a decade earlier by his father’s firm, S.C. Bugbee & Sons of San Francisco...." (Submitted on March 11, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,542 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement