Marine on St. Croix in Washington County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Erected 1950 by the Minnesota Department of Highways, Roadside Development Division; Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 11.882′ N, 92° 46.205′ W. Marker is in Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from St. Croix Trail North (State Highway 95) south of Maple Street (County Road 4), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at a roadside parking area (Parker Street). Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Judd Street, Marine on Saint Croix MN 55047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Marine (within shouting distance of this marker); Marine Mill Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boom, Then Bust (about 400 feet away); Minnesota's First Commercial Sawmill (about 400 feet away); The Pineries are Gone (about 400 feet away); Powerhouse and Kiln (about 500 feet away); Early Settler's Cabin (about 500 feet away); Technological Revolution (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marine on St. Croix.
Also see . . .
1. The City of Marine on St. Croix. "Marine on St. Croix, founded as Marine Mills in 1839, was the site of the first commercial saw mill along the St. Croix River." (Submitted on March 11, 2010.)
2. Minnesota Department of Transportation. "This lectern-style stone marker is located a few feet west of the parking area near the approximate center of the site. It is built of tan, random ashlar, roughly-cut limestone on a concrete footing." (Submitted on March 11, 2010.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 631 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 25, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on March 11, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.